My mother had a talent that few possess today. She could find a meal — a delicious meal — in anyone’s kitchen. This included the kitchen’s of owners who proclaimed, “There’s nothing to eat for dinner.” This trait is termed resourcefulness and probably extended to other areas of her life. She certainly used it as a New York City school teacher with limited resources. Sorta like Maria in The Sound of Music without the use of curtain fabric for clothing. Children with special needs do this everyday, all day. Without all the requisite skills for a task, these children figure out how to get the job done. As adults watching them struggle, we need to suppress the urge to reach out and help. Learning by doing. Learning by failing. Learning through experience. Now that’s learning. The end product may not be conventional but we’ve learned something, probably a lot more, along the way. And it’s so much sweeter.
- Athletic Endeavors Behavior & Learning Camp Family Food Freindships Genetics Gluten-free Growing Up Happiness Hygiene independence Language Learning Letting Go Parenting Recipes School Self-Confidence Set Backs Sibings Socializing Special Needs Support for parents Testing The future Traveling Treatments Uncategorized What other people say
Find it now!
Tag, You’re It!ADHD ADLs away from home baking behavior bike riding birthdays careers ceremonies dancing disappointment drinking family fashion Feingold Association Food friendships Gluten-free hair Halloween independence it takes a village junk food karma learning disabilities learning style listening mother on the edge nutrition relationships restaurants Santa School singing sisters Special Needs success swimming Temple Grandin Testing therapies twins visual learner
- Looking to Genes for the Secret to Happiness nyti.ms/1f6g8EZ 3 months ago
- Study finds depressed mothers more likely to have overweight children. Why is it always about the mother! nyti.ms/12ZZrrZ 4 months ago
- Bridezillas - Top Three Foods That Will Boost Your Mood – WE tv wetv.com/bridezillas/ar… via @WEtv 5 months ago
- My sweet potato, quinoa, & red cabbage salads at the Village TeaRoom in New Paltz are #slowfood standouts. 9 months ago
- Enjoying a colorful #vegan lunch at Village TeaRoom in New Paltz with my big girl Victoria. 9 months ago
- #tcfood thank you to the original TC policy luminaries - Isobel Contento, Joan Dye Gussow & Toni Liquori 9 months ago
- 245,000 stores process food stamps via the SNAP. Most are supermarkets; we need more small shops Says USDA's Kevin Concannon #tcfood 9 months ago
- RT @CoryBooker: RT @SlowFoodUSA: Food movement "needs to ignite consciousness of the country" to solve food & farming issuesz Cory B ... 9 months ago
- RT @SlowFoodUSA: "Urban ag has arrived. We can create jobs that lead to middle class lives" @Scottmstringer #tcfood 9 months ago
- The guy who oversees SNAP WIC & every fed food pgm - USDA's Kevin Concannon at #tcfood 9 months ago